Wednesday, May 28, 2014

May 28, 2014

I definitely think Rafe and I have similarities and differences in our teaching philosophies. All teachers have mostly the same goals, but different ways of reaching those goals. Rafe and I both think that our students' learning is the number one priority when it comes to our job. I also agree with Rafe's opinion on standardized testing. I do not think it is the most important thing in the world and I would like to use some of his techniques when preparing my own students for their end of year tests. Although I think it is really great that Rafe gets to school every morning at 6 and stays until 5:30 I do not think that will be very practical for me. I would love to be in charge of a club and stay late a couple days a week, but I do not think I could do that every day. I would like to have time to spend with my family and grade papers at home.

Since reading this book my thoughts on teaching have changed. I am even more inspired to be the best teacher I can be, so that my passion reaches my students. I do not want to come in everyday and just go through the motions. I want to challenge my students to learn in new ways and problem solve on their own. I will use many of the techniques and games that Rafe describes in his books.

4 Most Important Opportunities in Room 56:
1. Becoming an independent learner. It is important for students to be able to work together and help one another, but it is also important for students to be independent. Rafe makes sure his students can teach themselves, and work independently when necessary.

2. The opportunity to be creative. With more and more budget costs art and music have been taken away from some schools. Rafe makes sure his students get the opportunity to create many art projects throughout the year, and he teaches his students how to play instruments if they want to learn.

3. Being yourself. You can tell that the students in Room 56 are so comfortable and can really be themselves in there. This is so important for their self-esteem and confidence.

4. Learning. Obviously you learn in every classroom, but not like the students in room 56 learn. They learn things that they will never forget and use for the rest of their life. These students develop a true hunger for knowledge.

Questions for Rafe:
1. What is your favorite book to read with the class?
2. How many years of teaching did it take you to establish a well-working classroom?
3. How many of your students do you think reach level six?
4. If you were not a teacher what would you do?

1 comment:

  1. Courtney,

    My student's learning will also by my number one priority while reaching a common goal differently. The option Rafe gives his students to come to class early and leave late is very beneficial for students. Some of them may not get help from home but with this option they can stay and let Rafe help them. But, like you, I don't think this will very practical for me. After reading the book it has inspired me as well. I want to be a better teacher and let my students lean on me for support and trust. I will be able to put my faith in each and every one of them and hope they can do the same. The four opportunities you gave were great qualities that he taught his students.

    -Victoria Pope

    ReplyDelete